Funding from the Big Lottery Fund and the European Social Fund has enabled us to introduce two new projects which will provide mentoring and other support to help people to get back to work.
Aspire Sussex Adult Education and partners have been successful in bids to the Big Lottery Building Better Opportunities programme and have received funding totaling just over £1 million. They are leading two new projects called Working Together for Work and Local Learning Perspectives across the Coast to Capital LEP area (East and West Sussex, Surrey, Brighton and Hove).
The two projects involve working with a range of partners who will bring expertise to provide targeted family-focused provision through family learning and community inclusion, supporting hard to reach groups and individuals to return to work.
Local Learning Perspectives
This project gives support to long term unemployed individuals towards and into employment. This project will meet the needs of those with no recent work history or no work history at all.
Participants will typically be at a significant distance from the labour market, often facing challenging, interconnected barriers to job entry and in need of support on multiple fronts. The project will help them achieve entry into employment, education, training or further job search; measurable movement towards the labour market; and increased motivation, self-confidence and self-esteem.
Read Lisa’s story here.
Working Together for Work
This project focuses on supporting the family unit as a whole, working to help one or more members of the household into employment, education, training or job search. The project supports families with multiple complex barriers to develop their skills, capabilities, talents and resilience.
Alongside services to help the adults of the family become work ready, the project will help their children’s learning and ambitions by working closely with other services and agencies, and providing support on a one to one basis and at family level.
Both projects have the potential to significantly improve the lives of individuals, families and local communities. Our teams and partners have been working on the development stage of these projects since we received initial funding in November 2015 and we are looking forward to offering new courses and opportunities to volunteer.
The Working Together for Work and Local Learning Perspective projects are funded by the European Social Fund and the National Lottery, through the Big Lottery Fund.
About the Big Lottery Fund
• The Big Lottery Fund supports the aspirations of people who want to make life better for their communities across the UK. We are responsible for giving out 40% of the money raised by the National Lottery and invest over £650 million a year in projects big and small in health, education, environment and charitable purposes
• Since June 2004 we have awarded over £8 billion to projects that change the lives of millions of people. Every year we fund 13,000 small local projects tackling big social problems like poor mental health and homelessness
• Since the National Lottery began in 1994, £34 billion has been raised and more than 450,000 grants awarded
• Building Better Opportunities is jointly funded with the European Social Fund as part of the 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme in England. The Department for Work and Pensions is the Managing Authority for the England European Social Fund programme. Established by the European Union, European Social Fund funds help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, skills development, job creation, social inclusion and local community regenerations. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding.
• To be kept informed on the latest Building Better Opportunities news register your interest on our website, www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/esf